How KodakOne is engendering photographer loyalty via a blockchain play

The KodakOne Image Rights Management Platform is an image copyright protection, monetization and distribution platform secured via blockchain. The platform uses a hybrid blockchain infrastructure featuring Ethereum, Stellar and Hyperledger technology.

A basis for blockchain:

Within the current photographic industry, even professional photographers are collecting licensing fees from about 20% of the market. Therefore, by harnessing the granular automation provided by smart contracts and blockchain, there is an opportunity for the platform to monetize that remaining 80%.

In fact, during a beta test completed in early January 2018, the KodakOne platform has generated over US$1m in licensing claims.

How the KodakOne program works:
  • A photographer registers their photos on the KodakOne platform, identifying him or her as the owner.
  • The blockchain records proof of ownership.
  • KodakOne’s web crawlers actively search millions of websites globally to check that registered photos have been properly licensed from the photographer.
  • Once KodakOne finds a photo that’s being used illegally, it automatically generates an invoice and sends it to the person that has downloaded the photo without paying for it.
Blockchain technology and beyond:

We’re all familiar with one of Aristotle’s famous quotes ‘The whole is greater than the sum of its parts’ and I think it applies here. This is mainly because a lot of blockchain companies have a tendency to solve the technology element, but usually not the thinking behind it – i.e. will consumers actually use the solution.

  1. Blockchain technology: allows the processing of license fees in real time, using smart contracts.
  2. Artificial intelligence: collects and processes everything there is to know about an image, including how it’s used digitally, which gives real-time intel.
  3. The KodakCoin utility token: streamlined payments for receipt of royalties, but also the ability to use the currency for photographers to purchase things they need (cameras, software, etc).
  4. The thinking: KodakOne is solving a very real and persistent problem – content being used without the copyright holders permission.

KodakOne is not a loyalty program, nor was it intended as one. Based on the above you could, however, argue that the value proposition being delivered to the photographer by way of using this platform is quite significant and it’s therefore compelling enough to use again and again (i.e. drive deeper and continued engagement).

As engagement specialists, this totally resonates with us because it helps to engender loyalty to a solution that delivers real value – and value is always the hardest program design element to deliver.

Looking for ways to improve your program, or want a program designed? Get in touch.


Max Savransky is Loyalty Director of Loyalty & Reward Co, a leading loyalty consulting firm based in Sydney. He has 10 years’ experience within the loyalty industry including roles at Mastercard Loyalty (Pinpoint), Silverneedle (Next & Sage Hotels) and Pureprofile. As Loyalty & CRM Manager at HOYTS, he launched the highly successful partnership with Qantas Frequent Flyer, including a world-first Qantas Points in-store redemption proposition. He is an active cryptocurrency trader.

Max regularly contributes to www.blockchainloyalty.io, a global resource centre for everything blockchain loyalty.